Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yes

I am experimenting with saying yes more often. I read in someone else's blog that she was doing the same and it definitely resonated with me. I say no to my girls too often. And for no good reason. Because I'm distracted. Because I'm thinking about all the stuff I have to do. Because I, shamefully, sometimes just can't be bothered and want to DO IT MYSELF without the loving 'assistance' of my little girls.

 Well, it won't be so long before they have a thousand things they'd rather do than hang out with me in the kitchen, sitting in front of the cupboard doors, cracking every egg, washing every tomato, peeling every carrot. It won't be too long before they don't want to hold my hand all the time, or snuggle on the couch, or have me dress their babies and pretend to be a little girl. And it will end faster if they come to assume that my answer will probably be 'no' to whatever it is they want.

 So today I said yes when Abi wanted me to be the little girl while she was the mummy. I said yes when she wanted to make some muffins in character. I said yes to using the hitherto banned glitter to make butterflies. And to Evie, my firestorm girl, I said yes to 8 extra serves of chocolate powder in her psyllium-laced milk.

 What do you think? Is saying yes something you have to think about?

No comments: