Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Friday to me

And happy beginning of the holidays too. The two great things about my job are that I can take Abi with me and that I get paid through the school holidays without having to go in. I still do some work, but I can do it whenever and it is so lovely knowing there is nowhere I have to be. I could probably make more money somewhere else, but the conditions definitely make up for any pay deficiency.

Yesterday we had many Shoe Dramas. I didn't realise quite how dependent my daughter had become on her black My First Volleys until I decreed she could not longer wear them because; a) they were too small; and b) they had holes in them in the manner of Orphaned Urchin shoes. I put her adorable blue boots on and oh! the wailing! The furious shaking of feet! The possibly-on-purpose kicking of mummy in the hip!

She had quieted down a bit by the time we got to work but still looked at me with tragic blue eyes when I said it was time for her to walk. "noooo, nooo; boo, boo" she wailed (translation: "I do not care for these boots, Mother. They are stiff and clumpy, unlike my beloved, light-as-air Volleys") She walked gingerly around in them looking sad for a while before I gave in and took them off. Dirty socks it would be, I decided.

Mum and Dad managed to get them on her later with the twin incentives of gingerbread men and the park, but she didn't really get used to them. One foot would kind of turn out to the right and she'd follow it around in a circle like a fish with one fin. Bit pathetic, so we made an emergency stop at Target on the way home and picked up another pair of Volleys in the next size up. I had hoped to get red, but there were only black ones available.

She was really cranky getting out of the car as she'd been asleep and I tried to interest her in all the other pretty shoes ("Look darling! Butterflies! And sparkles! Or how about these pretty red Mary Janes?"), but only got further 'nooo's as well as a few "boosh"es, as she pushed the pretty shoes away. When she saw the black Volleys she grabbed them and said "Oosh" in a satisfied voice, so I admitted defeat and off we went to buy them.

This is the first time she's really showed me she wants something different from what I am offering her in a sustained and determined way. I suppose I should be celebrating her developing independence, but I can't help sighing for the days not that long ago when she would dociley accept whatever I chose to put on her feet. My darling darling girl is growing up.

No comments: